Writers and creators are a special breed. We work best when we can create a distraction-free environment and get into the flow of our work. We know how a loud noise can break your train of thought and get you out of the flow in an instant. That is why we have compiled this list of the best headphones for writers so that you can be in a quiet environment anywhere and get some writing done.
Noise-Canceling Headphones are Essential for Writers
Noise-canceling headsets are an important part of a writer’s toolbox. While the key to success is to develop good daily writing habits, this means creating an environment where we can do our best work. The problem is that the world does not always cooperate, and we can find ourselves distracted and frustrated in no time. Noise-canceling headphones allow you to create a personal island away from the rest of the world, regardless of where you are, and you can enjoy your favorite focus tunes, too.
The 7 Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones for Writers
The best headphones for writers must do a good job of blocking out sounds from the world around you. They must also be comfortable and lightweight. When looking for a pair of headphones, sound reproduction, and comfort are the two main factors that we considered, but you can find quite a few have extra perks like Bluetooth capability and Alexa compatibility.
1. Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones with Mic
This set of Sony Wireless noise-canceling headphones is one of our top picks for many reasons. It uses Dual Noise Sensor technology to block out sounds. The headphones are lightweight and comfortable, but they feel secure on your head. They even have a sensor that pauses play automatically when you take them off. This set is also easy to operate.
- 30-hour battery life
- Touch sensor activates your writing assistant
- Can use them to answer phone calls
- Pairs with many common devices
- Has adaptive sound control
- Might not be compatible with every device
- Might not fit everyone
2. Apple Airpods Pro
If you do not want a full-size set of headphones, this set of Airpods might be perfect for you. They are small and lightweight. You can have quick access to Siri, and they work with all of the latest Apple devices. This pair is soft, comfortable, water-resistant, and sweat-resistant. These earbuds have a transparency mode for those times when you must connect with the outer world.
- 24-hour battery life
- Adaptive EQ tunes music to the shape of your ear
- Made from soft silicone
- Provides immersive sound experience
- Superior sound quality
- Might not block as much sound as a full headset
- Not compatible with older devices
- Only works with Apple devices
3. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x Wired Headphones
Audio-Technica has a reputation in the sound industry for clarity and excellent sound reproduction. Although most people now prefer wireless or Bluetooth headphones, some still prefer a wired set. These headphones are lightweight and place minimal pressure on your head. They will fit any system that can take a standard 3.5mm jack.
- Open-air design is comfortable and lightweight
- Excellent sound quality
- Clear treble and midrange
- Wide sound range, 20-20,000 Hz
- Comes with a long cord
- Must use adapter for 6.3mm jacks
4. Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Over the Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphone
When it comes to audio, Bowers & Wilkins has a reputation for quality. It is the name behind the premium stereo systems offered in luxury-class cars. This set of noise-canceling headphones has the superior sound quality you would expect from the brand. It automatically responds to your environment for a perfectly immersive experience.
- Automatic environmental response
- Over 30-hour battery life
- Quick 15-minute charge gets you 6 more hours of play
- Made from high-strength carbon-fiber composite
- Automatically stops when you pull the cup from your ear
- Might not be compatible with all devices
- Might not fit larger people, 8.66-inches tall
5. Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H9i Wireless Headphones
Bang & Olufsen is another name well known among sound aficionados. They are known for realistic sound production with little interference such as pops and static. You can change tracks, adjust the volume, and take calls with easy touch controls. This one has all of the bells and whistles, such as a proximity sensor, wireless connectivity, Bluetooth, and transparency mode.
- Bang & Olufsen is a trusted brand
- 770 mAh Lithium-ion battery
- Auto stop when you take them off
- Automatic battery conservation mode
- Comfortable fit
- A little heavier than some on the list
- 19-hour battery life, which is less than others on list
- Only fits 3.5mm jack without adapter
6. Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Canceling Headset
Bose is another brand that is well-known when it comes to sound, but they are also a bit more reasonably priced. This set of Bose noise-canceling headphones focuses on comfort and the ability to wear them all day long with ease. They have excellent sound reproduction and have Alexa voice control. As you would expect from Bose, the sound is balanced at any volume, .
- Dual microphone means clear voice pick-up
- Works on iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Offers audio augmented reality (AR)
- Excellent noise-cancelation technology
- Access information and music through Alexa
- Does not work with older systems
- Requires updated drivers on your system
- Up to 20 hours battery life maximum
7. Marshall Monitor II Active Noise Canceling Headphones
Marshall makes noise-canceling headphones that are lightweight and compact. They pack well for travel and come with a case that fits nicely into your luggage. This set is nice for those who have smaller heads where larger headsets feel bulky. In addition, it has excellent noise-canceling and up to 30 hours of battery life.
- Lightweight and compact for travel
- Long battery life
- Easy control knob
- Comes with charging cable, 3.5. cord, and carry bag
- Perfect for public transportation
- Might not fit all people
- Must check compatibility with your devices before purchase
Now, you have our top picks for the best headphones for writers. Any one of these noise-cancelling headsets would be an excellent choice for improving your productivity and making your work environment more enjoyable. While you are at it, you should check out our favorite Spotify playlist for writers.